Sesame Chicken (Nestie: TexasSmith)
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder (see my recipe below)
- 1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 package chicken breast strips, cut into chunks
- 8 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 6 tbsp. honey
- oil for frying
In a large ziplock bag, combine flour, 1/4 c. sesame seeds, black pepper, red pepper and Chinese spice. Place chicken in bag and shake to coat.
Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Place chicken into skillet and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
Remove chicken from skillet and empty excess oil from pan. Reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet. Mix in teriyaki sauce, honey and 1/4 c. sesame seeds, and stir until sauce thickens.Serve over brown rice.
You could also add sugar snap peas, onions, bell peppers or any other veggies you like.
***Tips: I marinated my chicken for about 4 hours in some teriyaki this really added to the flavor, I also made the Chinese spice using the recipe below. I used all that this recipe made, it was a lot more then a tsp. but it was really good!
Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp. ground Szechwan pepper (I used regular pepper)
- 1 tsp. ground star anise (I used marjoram)
- 1-1/4 tsp. ground fennel seeds (I used cumin)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves (I used allspice)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
Combine all ingredients in small airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place.
***Tips: I loved the flavor of these mixed, and would mix my own again, but would like to try a store bought one.