Orange Chicken

Today we spent the day down at my moms, she had asked us on Thursday what she should make for dinner, we didn't have many ideas. She said she had a recipe for Orange Chicken she found and really wanted to try. So we said yea, lets try that. It was a rather simple meal to prepare and had great taste and flavor and was more healthy the some meals.


Orange Chicken (Weight Watchers)

  • 2 tsp dark sesame oil
  • 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
  • 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
  • 15 oz Mandarin Oranges In Light Syrup
  • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp orange zest, or to taste
  • 2 tsp cornstarch

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper; add chicken to skillet and cook until golden, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side.


Drain oranges and reserve 1/4 cup liquid. Add oranges with reserved liquid to skillet and simmer 2 minutes. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, orange zest and cornstarch in a small bowl; add mixture to pan and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes more. Yields 1 piece of chicken and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.

***Tips: She omitted the orange zest, and used sweet and sour sauce instead of soy sauce. When I make this I would cut the chicken into chunks so I think it would soak in more flavor. It was great this way but love to try it another way!

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Looks great. Too bad I am not a mandarin orange fan. :(

Roxanne said...

Reminds me of a recipe I used to make when my boys were little. I'm definitely going to have to try this.