Beef Portobello Alfredo (Nestie: Ashleighl)
- Pasta (angle hair or fettuccine)
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut medallion size
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Madeira or port wine
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
First, boil angle hair or fettuccine style pasta. Set aside.
Trim fat from steaks. Rub both sides of steaks with oil and pepper.
Broil steaks 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare (145 degree F) and 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degree F).
For sauce, in a large skillet cook and stir mushrooms and onions in hot butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in broth and Madeira. Bring to boiling. Add half and half and Parmesan and heat through. Remove from heat. Thinly slice steaks diagonally and serve with pasta and sauce.
***Tips: I doubled the sauce amount and made 1 lb of pasta, which seemed to be the right amount. We also only bought one larger steak, broiled and cut into strips.