Southern Meal

Saturday was my Sister-In-Laws birthday. She said her dream meal would be southern cooking. I did my best at re-creating this. It was not my kind of food except the ribs, but my Mother in-law and Sister in-law, took seconds and thirds so it must of been good.

Ribs (My recipe)

  • 1 pkg of ribs (I bought a large package with about 20 or so ribs.)
  • 2 jars of sauce

I browned the ribs just quickly on each side on Friday night, I laid one jar of sauce on the bottom, and then layered the ribs across the top. And then put the other jar of sauce on top. This were put on the slow-cooker burner around 8:30 and we ate around 6:45. They were WONDERFUL!

Greens

I checked on this, I bought a can of Collard Greens, and then boiled some green beans with water and salt and pepper. Everyone seemed to enjoy them

Baked Mac and Cheese (Nestie: Krashed24)

  • 8 ounces elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, divided (I used Colby instead because Adam doesn't like Swiss)
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Cook macaroni using package directions; drain.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, stirring continually.

Cook over low heat, stirring continually, until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in 1/4 cup of cheddar, mozzarella and Swiss. Mix cheese sauce and macaroni in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, mozzarella and Swiss.

Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle on top of cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

***Tips: I doubled the recipe, and didn't have a lot of left overs with 5 adults and one child eating it, also, this was more of a cream mac and cheese instead of cheesy. I like the recipe just will get more creative with it.

Diet Coke Cup Cakes (Nesties)

  • 1 can diet pop (I used diet 7up cherry)
  • 1 box cake mix (I used French Vanilla)

Mix the two ingredients and bake as directed on box, or until toothpick comes out clean.

***Tips: If you don't like diet pop, or not so sure about this recipe. PLEASE try it, they are just like regular cake except a little more moist! I have been using Betty Crocker Whipped Frosting, the fluffy white. I really like the taste and it's not so sugary. Over the weekend my mom also made these using white cake mix, and raspberry extract. They were also VERY good.

Sweet Potato Pie (Better Homes and Gardens)

  • 1 pastry shell
  • 1 17oz can sweet potatoes (I could only find a 15oz)
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1/2 tea ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tea ground allspice
  • 1/2 tea ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tea salt
  • 3 slightly beaten eggs
  • 1 c. buttermilk or dairy sour cream
  • whip cream

In a large bowl stir together sweet potatoes, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually stir in buttermilk until thoroughly combined.

Place in pastry shell on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 oven for 35 to 40minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the edges are puffed. If necessary, remove foil the last 5 to 10 minutes to allow pastry to brown. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours. If desired, serve with whipped cream.

***Tips: I used a 15oz instead of the 17oz it called for. I also didn't do step 2 and it would of really helped if you would of. So make sure to do #2. I didn't cover the edges with foil, and my crust was perfect.

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Everything looks great! Now I am craving some mac and cheese. I need to make those diet coke cupcakes already!

Michelle said...

I keep looking for a baked mac n' cheese that really catches my eye and this one did! I think I'm going to try it tomorrow night :)