Chicken Tortilla Soup

Tonight's dinner was Chicken Tortilla soup, I tried this around noon and it was WAY too spicy for us (we are babies) so I added a can of tomato sauce. That did tame it down, it was still not exactly wonderful! I would not make this recipe again. It was bad it just wasn't something Adam and I enjoy.

I went back and forth tonight weather I should post this or not, but everyone makes cooking mistakes and some people might really like this recipe. So I opted to post it anyway.

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (From Nesties)

  • 1 lb. shredded, cooked chicken
  • 1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
  • 1 (10oz can enchilada sauce
  • 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4oz) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups. water
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 7 corn tortillas
  • vegetable oil

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, black beans, and garlic in slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken brother, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro.

Cover, and cook on low setting for 6 to hours, or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.


Preheat oven to 400 degress.


Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.


Bake in preheated oven until crisp about 10-15 min.


Served sprinkled with tortillas strips, and cheese. I served with corn cake!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was probably the whole can of green chilies. We use green chilies in chili a lot, but I don't like it as spicy as my husband. We'll usually add half a can while it is cooking then he adds more to his bowl when it is dished up. The recipe sounds really good though!