Beef Stew

As soon as I saw this posted on The Nest WC Board, I knew I wanted to try it. I love beef stew, but have never made my own. This recipe looked very easy and very tasty. I found it on Chelleys blog, who found it on Katie's Blog.

Lots to say about this recipe. First of all Adam actually made this dinner, and I thank him greatly. The veggies weren't all the way done, even after simmering for an hour and half. Next time I would do the meat step and when it is time to add the veggies I would cook it in a slow cooker for a day. I also would cut the potatoes smaller. We also like it a little "saucer" so I added some broth and corn starch mix into the juice when adding the veggies.

Adam HATES peas so I made some on the side for me and added them in my bowl only :-)

Hearty Beef Stew (Original From: America’s Test Kitchens)
  • 3 lbs. beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 in. cubes
  • Salt and ground pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 medium onions, chopped (we used 1/2 lg. onion)
  • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
  • 4 large carrots (about 1 lb.), peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick
  • 1 c. frozen peas
Dry beef thoroughly and season generously with salt and pepper.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy-bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add half the meat so that pieces are not touching and cook not moving until brown (about 2-3 min). Use tongs and rotate pieces until all sides are browned (about 5 additional min.). Transfer beef to medium bowl and add another 1 tablespoon oil to pan, repeating previous steps with other half of beef.

Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to now empty pan and swirl to coat bottom. Add onions and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, scraping bottom of pan for brown bits until softened (about 5 mins). Add garlic and continue to cook for 30 sec. Stir in the flour and cook until lightly colored (1-2 min.). Add wine, scraping the bottom and stirring until thick and flour is dissolved.

Gradually add the beef broth, stirring constantly, scraping up the remaining browned bits on bottom of pan. Add bay leaves and thyme and return to simmer. Add beef, return to simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.

Add potatoes and carrots, leave uncovered, increase heat to medium and cook for additional hour.

Add the peas, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 min.

Discard bay leaves, adjust seasoning and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Carrie I dont want to be a pest, but can you tell us what wine you use. I dont want to bug you but I could use you're help! LOL