Chinese Night

I am not a huge fan of Chinese food, I greatly love it but am always scared of new places to try, I got food poisoning years ago from a Chinese buffet and ever since then I am not so sure. Adam LOVES Chinese so when I found these recipes I knew I had to pair them up together and make a Chinese dinner at home.

My changes are in italics, I didn't make the chicken fried rice as that would of been too filling, I just made fried rice.

This was overall a great dinner, the chicken had great flavor, but it had a different orange color, I am not sure if it was an ingredient or what, but once you got over the color it was great! The rice was also very good. We used the Wok to make the rice and added some mushrooms, next time I would definatly add the chicken, I think that is where you would get more flavor.

Bourbon Chicken (From: Amber, Original: RecipeZaar)
  • 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces (I used 2 breasts)
  • 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I omitted as we aren't spicy people)
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove Chicken.

Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved.

Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.

Chicken Fried Rice (From: Bakespace Member Motherof2Boys)
  • 6 oz. cooked diced chicken (I omitted)
  • 1/4 c. low sodium chicken broth or bouillon (I omitted)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. low sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
  • Pinch white pepper
  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 lg. eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 c. diced onion
  • 1/2 c. shredded carrot
  • 1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
  • 1/2 c. frozen peas

In small bowl, combine chicken, 2 tablespoon water, chicken broth, teriyaki sauce, ginger and pepper. Set aside. In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add eggs; cook, stirring until set but moist. Remove egg to warm plate.

Add remaining oil and heat. Add onion and carrot. Stir fry 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in rice and peas. Cook until rice begins to brown. Add chicken mixture and egg. I added dash of ginger and teriyaki sauce here instead of with the chicken. Cook 5 minutes longer until heated through.

1 comment:

~Amber~ said...

I loved the bourbon chicken when I made it. I shoudl make it again soon.
Sounds like a great dinner.
You did not say weather you liked it or not, did you?