Fettuccine Alfredo (From: Kare11)
8 oz. Fettuccine
1 ½ teaspoons butter
½ cup reduced-fat cream cheese
1 1/3 cups skim milk
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup already grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Place fettuccine in 2 ½ quarts of already boiling water (unsalted) and cook until tender 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a larger saucepan.
- Add cream cheese and milk stirring constantly with a wire whisk until well-blended and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper and nutmeg, gradually add shredded cheese, whisking vigorously until cheese is melted and incorporated.(sauce will be thin)
- Remove sauce from heat and let stand.
- Drain the fettuccine and place in large bowl.
- Give the sauce another stir, and pour it over pasta.
- Toss well to mix.
- Serve immediately, or let stand for sauce to thicken.
- Add additional shredded cheese as desired.
** Tips: Non-Fat cream cheese does NOT seem to work well, we omitted the nutmeg, we also double the recipe which would then use the whole brick of cream cheese.
We omitted the nutmeg as we didn't have any, and I had heard from many people it gave it a different taste. We used some frozen garlic toast to go with the meal. We used
grated parm. next time we will use shredded as it will make it a little thicker. Overall this was wonderful!!!