Vanilla Gelato

I have wanted an ice cream maker since I got my kitchen aide a year and half ago, although I didn't get it for Christmas I am going to buy it for myself SOON! While at my moms Sunday I noticed in the back of her closet she had an ice cream maker that hasn't been used. So I borrowed it, although it's not a kitchen aide I knew it would get the job done :-)

Since my mom didn't have the instruction book I had to kind of go with how I thought maybe it should be done. So I froze the the crock for 36 hours prior. Then I found this website and watching this video to help me get the idea.

Instead of trying ice cream, I tried Gelato, Adam and I went to CA to visit his dad 2 years ago and went to Little Italy and had Gelato, I fell in love with it YUM! This wasn't as good as that, it seemed kind of like little ice chunks, everyone else enjoyed it. I will try again!

Vanilla Gelato (From: Ice Cream Recipes)



  • 8 egg yolks
  • 2 pints (1000 ml) whole milk (full cream milk) (4 cups)
  • 4oz (100g) sugar (1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

First of all beat and mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Then stir in the milk and transfer the mixture to a saucepan. Heat gently and bring slowly up to boiling point, continuously stirring until the custard thickens. DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE.

When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool. When the custard base is cold, stir in the vanilla extract, then transfer the whole mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

looks great Carrie!! i'll have to try this recipe.