Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomato, and Cheese (From: Cooking Light)
- 1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links (I bought ground sausage)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I used onion powder)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used garlic salt)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained (see my change below)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I used a sprinkle of dried)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
***Tips: I used about 20 oz of crushed tomatoes, and about 9 oz of diced tomatoes. I also per some suggestions doubled the amount of cheese. I used a full 8 oz bag of mozzarella and about 1/2 of parmesan. I also used dried basil about only a sprinkle.